Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend Recap: Long

Weekends are normally a chance for me to sleep in and recharge from the previous work week. This was definitely not the case this past weekend. We were extremely busy with my FIL's (father in law) surgery and entertaining. I feel like the weekend flew by and it didn't feel like I had a weekend at all actually. A detailed weekend recap is below. I am warning you in advance that this is probably going to be very long, because I just need to get it all out. Writing allows me to chew on it and process everything and put it behind me, so I can focus on what's ahead.


So Friday, I was really looking forward to the weekend and catching up on sleep. Like I said earlier this didn't happen. I was a little preoccupied all day while at work, thinking about FIL's surgery. I kept waiting for phone updates from David, but his surgery kept being postponed, which was frustrating. I spent the evening cleaning as we had guests coming to stay with us for the weekend. I got a lot accomplished and was proud of myself. Our guests Erik, Joleen and Adam arrived pretty late as they did have a long drive. It was awesome to see them as it had been a couple of months, since we last saw them. We love hanging out with them, thus it was quite late before we got into bed.

Saturday - FIL's surgery was scheduled for pretty early, so David headed over to the hospital at like 5 to see him before he went in. I woke up around 8:30 and made everyone Paula Deans baked French Toast. It is sooo good! I made it previously for a friends baby shower and everyone loved it. David had been asking for awhile for me to make it for him. I think we headed over to the hospital mid morning and hung out with MIL in the waiting room. David and I occupied our time by watching clips of open heart surgerys on Utube. Holy cow is all I have to say! I think I read a bit, I am re-reading the Twilight series, haha.

FIL got out of surgery around 2ish. Like previously reported, the surgery went well. They planned on keeping him ventilator till the next morning, thus they kept him sedated. We had to wait awhile before we could see him, but finally were able to go on in. The last time, I had been to the ICU was when Mark was in the hospital and seeing FIL on the ventilator, the sounds, putting the hand santizer on before going in, brought all those memories back. It was hard.
We left the hospital and went to dinner to celebrate my MIL's birthday, which also that day. By the time we got home, I was wiped out. The guys all watched the UFC fight and I promptly fell asleep on the sofa. I really wanted to socialize, but it just wasn't happening. Seemed like the guys really enjoyed the fight as I awoke to quite a few time to cheering. Finally, I gave in and just went to bed.

Sunday morning, we slept in a little bit but it wasn't enough. I had to resort to keeping myself awake by having some coffee, which I never do on weekends. Our guests left and I was sad. I really wish we could have spent more time with them. :( We sat around and waited for the hospital to call us when they had taken FIL off the ventilator. It took awhile, as I guess they were having some issues with his oxygen levels. The hospital finally called mid day and let us know that FIL was off the ventilator and they were going to start weaning him off the sedatives. The entire family headed over to Panera for lunch and then to the hospital. We completely took over the entire waiting room. :) When David and I went in to see him, they were making him sit up in a chair, which you could tell was very hard for him and he was in a lot of pain. He will probably been in the ICU for 3 days. He is expected to stay in the hospital for 5 to 7 days total. So maybe, this coming weekend he will be able to go home.

Our friends Chris and Tess were so awesome and had everyone over to their place for a BBQ, as they live just down the road from the hospital. We all trooped on over there. The food and company were great. It was awesome to just sit and relax. I throughly enjoyed just sitting outside in the warm summer evening and talking with everyone. Thank you so very much guys!
If your still reading this wow!

So there you go, that was our weekend, tiring but also some aspects very enjoyable. I do hope this week goes by quickly and also that I won't be so stubborn and stay up late either reading or waisting my time on something pointless like restaurant city. I really need to catch up on my sleep, as the circles under my eyes look horrendous. Thank goodness for makeup in the mean time though!

1 comments on "Weekend Recap: Long"

Angie Eats Peace on July 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM said...

Glad your father in laws surgery went smoothly.



Bliss ~ Félicité Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal