Thursday, May 15, 2008

I've got my H2O drink on



I am really proud of myself, as all week I have been drinking the recommended 8 glasses a day of water! This is really a big accomplishment for myself and hopefully I can keep it up. In the past I haven't been able too and I quickly slip back into my old habits.


All throughout growing up, my mom tried to keep us eating healthy and encouraged us to drink lots of water. I was always good about drinking some, along with fruit juice or milk. When I moved out and went to college this all changed. Soon I was drinking 5 to 6 sodas a day. I always had a Pepsi can in my hand. I continued this for several years and David would get on case about it, but I didn't want to change. I slowly dropped my soda consumption down to about 3 sodas a day, but I was still not drinking any water.


About 3 years ago, I had a horrible pain in my side and it turned out I had kidney stones. The doctor told me I had stop drinking caffeine immediately. It was really hard for to do this, but the pain was a real motivator to stop! I started limited my dark soda to once a week. I would enjoy having my 1 Pepsi or Dr pepper on Saturdays. I substituted the caffeinated soda for sprite and 7up. I kept taking baby steps towards the ultimate goal of drinking more water. I finally dropped the 2 or 3 clear sodas a day down to one. For about the last year, I have been stuck at this spot of drinking one clear soda and about one to two glasses of water a day. I would do well for a little while at drinking more water, but it never lasted more than a day or two.


Sometime last week though, I realized how close I was and that I needed to make that last push towards my goal. I don't even know what caused me to think this and to go for it, but it just happened. I started out on Monday, here at work by not grabbing a soda from the fridge. It was so hard, especially since the entire fridge is filled full of soda and its free, but I did it. I also realized, if I broke the day into sections and told myself I needed to drink one entire water bottle between this time and then, that I could do it. Since Monday, each day has gotten easier and I just realized this morning that I went all week! Wohoo! 8 glasses each day and no soda at all!


I am really hoping I can keep this up. I think it is still going to be very hard especially when eating out. I am hoping by writing this you all could keep me accountable! Looking back at where I started really makes me realize how far I have really come!

4 comments on "I've got my H2O drink on"

A Walk In My Shoes on May 16, 2008 at 1:34 PM said...

This is great! Congrats. It's amazing how much water our bodies need, and don't get. Sorry to hear about your stones. THose things HURT

Discombobulated on May 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM said...

Good for you, water is so important.
Now if I do not drink enough, I feel slow and sluggish, you will get used to it and start craving water!

sherthebear on May 19, 2008 at 3:45 PM said...

yay! keep it up!

Nanette on May 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM said...

Good for you! I'm so bad, although I'm trying to be better about it.

Followers

 

Bliss ~ Félicité Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal