Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 11: My Poor Little Car


My car has served me well the last couple of years and my parents for all the years they used it. Several times, David and I have contemplated getting me new car, but have always decided it wasn't needed. At one point we even went and test drove cars, but like previously we changed our minds. It has been great not having two car payments.

Unfortunately, my car is OLD! It's an 87 Mercedes and lots of little things have started to be needing replaced. David took it down for the oil change today and was told it needs $2000.00 + worth of repairs! Not the news I wanted to hear. Some of the repairs don't need to be fixed right away like the heater, which blows ridiculously hot air at you all the time. Others though need fixing like the brakes and other things I can't remember the names of like transmition mounts or something.

So we are faced with some decisions. Do we repair it? Not really cost efficient to do so, since it's so old. If we aren't going to use the car, my dad wants it back. That means no selling it and using the money towards a new car. David not having a full time job doesn't help. The Lord has been so amazing and has been providing him with lots of film work, which has been great. But it's not steady, no guaranteed payday. I know we will soon be heading into the slower months, Jan - March. We have been blessed with the money to still be aggressively paying down our credit card debt. I am so thankful for all of this.

A second car payment makes me nervous though. It's a long term commitment, unlike eating out and Disneyland passes which can be cut out or not renewed. We discussed our options a little bit tonight and we are leaning towards buying a used car, something that won't put us into a large car payment. The Corolla would become primarily my car to drive to and from work. It gets great gas mileage, the main reason why we bought it.

I am sure with lots of thought and prayer about it, we will make the right choices for ourselves and our situation! It looks like my little car might be going back home to Indiana, that's if it's safe to make the drive back. I will be sad to see it go, if does!

2 comments on "Day 11: My Poor Little Car"

Nicole on November 12, 2009 at 7:14 AM said...

Awwwww - poor car and poor you! Maybe you can find something for a couple thousand dollars that will get you guys through for another little while. Car payments are the devil :)

Witness My Fitness on November 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM said...

Buying a car is a tough decision to make, especially under the circumstances you and David are facing right now. Troy's Honda broke down last week and we have still yet to take it to Tim to look at...that always cost at least $300. Troy said it was over heating and spewing lots of steam everywhere. I hope its fixable! In the meantime, he has been using the Camry to get around, which leaves me without a car. I can't stand not having a car! :( I'll pray you guys can make the wisest decision with your car situation!

Followers

Blog Archive

 

Bliss ~ Félicité Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal