Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Green Thumb?



I have been a major slacker and still haven't downloaded pictures of our trip to San Diego, so that post is going to have to wait. We had a good weekend though. Lots of time for relaxation and catching up on my reading, which I have severely neglected.

Anyways, yesterday we worked on our little backyard that we have. I am horrible at estimations, but its probably 20' by 10' and is all dirt. When we moved in, there was a little bit of grass and no plants. Well a year later, the weeds had taken over and it was a mess. At one point, the weeds had grown over the roof, white trash I know! The other weekend, Scott came over and helped David clean out the dead leaves and pulled all the weeds. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous lately, in the high 70's, low 80's for all you non Californians, don't hate now! We decided yesterday to work on the strip of dirt. We planted some wildflower seeds in one section and the rest still needs a lot of work, but its a start. I am totally gun ho now, for finishing the rest of it. After getting back from dinner, I spent the rest of the evening picking out flowers I would like to plant.

I definately need to take a class in desert/tropical plants 101 though, as this Midwest gal would love to plant tulips and other plants, that would keal over and die in two seconds with the type of weather we have here. I don't want to plant anything major like shrubs or perennials, since we don't plan on living there to much longer. I think I will stick to mostly annuals and some vegetables for the summer. I am already looking forward to seeing the little plants popping their heads out of the ground though! Hopefully, I won't kill them!

Photo Source: DiscoverLife.org

2 comments on "Green Thumb?"

Angie Eats Peace on February 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM said...

I always kill my plants, if you discover any tips, let me know.

JennB on February 14, 2008 at 7:39 AM said...

Try Bleeding hearts. They do well down there, all you have to do is water them and give them a little mist. Good luck, I can't wait to see the pictures

Followers

 

Bliss ~ Félicité Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal